Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
I appreciate the weigh-in, @HP17 , for the comparison points, and for that sick video! (The 10:50 mark is good example of how quick these bikes are!)

(Now that your 2018 has had a chance to break in, why not sell it, and upgrade to a 2021 or 2022 ?)
Why would I sell it? I have it buffed out/dialed in exactly how I want it! The great thing about the 2017+ model (SC77) is that there really is no downside when compared to earlier models.
If you are looking for justification, think about this, the 2017+ bikes have lean-angle dependent traction control. That means it's safer!

And sure normally I leave it on a low setting so it doesn't intervene but last weekend it was actually useful what with mid-40 degree temps and snowmelt running across the road.

Tire Sky Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any / all pros & cons for either, neither, or another Honda year for 1000rr?

Here are the two available bikes?

OPTION A:
$5,000
2007 Honda CBR 1000rr
25,000 miles
color: black

OPTION B:
$10,000
2017 Honda CBR 1000rr
22,000 miles
my last bike was a 2008 ninja 636, 2 months ago I bought an 05 cbr 1000rr 30k miles for 4.5k. I ended doing a lot of upgrades, yoshimura pipe, power commander 5, new tires, brakes, brake fluids, engine oil, filter, k&n air filters, racing rear sets. I feel quite happy with the bike. its very fast, I was street racing a ferrari 488 on i95 in west palm beach along with the new corvette the rear engine one. I was beating them in every pull and handling felt great. going like 150+. Very light traffic. I know it's reckless but its fun.

Pros imo: i like its old school. sounds great, its fast. replacement parts are cheap and widely available. I was looking on ebay and with the available parts I could build a new engine for around 500 bucks using slightly used parts. If I do all the labor myself. I love that. And it has way less wiring/ assists so if you have an electrical problem it will be easier to fix. Basically the bike is super fast, and its reliable.Im happy with what I have and its a bike with character.

However the new bike is well a new bike. faster more light weight ect. But by how much, 20%? Maybe less or more who knows, but I dont think it would be by that much.

Theres a lot of different angles. The 05 is a great bike because its newer I would assume the 2017 is even better but by how much. And the parts and work might be more complicated and expensive because newers ect ect. But not certain. I havent researched parts for a 2017.

One big con of the 05 is the dash. I think its ugly and Im trying to find a way to install a new digital dash if possible. Im good with electrical so I might get it to work.

I'll post a picture of my bike along with the new fairings I ordered. So excited for them to arrive going to completely transform the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
859 Posts
HP17....You're right....once you get the bike the way you want it, you don't want to part with it, just like my 05. Glad you are having some Winter fun. You always make me want an SC77 though....:p

Hey 723....you will love your 05 SC57, and have fun working on it....old school is still cool...:cool:
If you have any questions when changing your fairings, post up, I've changed all my fairings at least 5 times on my 05.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you're mainly street riding, I'd stick with the 04-07 (SC57) or 08-16 (SC59). There's less tech to deal with, so the learning curve isn't as steep if you want to perform your own maintenance to save a few bucks. And you can still get parts.

A well maintained 04-07 is a good choice, even at 25K miles. But do some searching on the forum for potential issues before you make the jump. If I remember correctly, there have been reports about issues with the regulator/rectifier and hydraulic clutch.

Some of the 08-11s burned oil, but they're still good bikes. They're also more compact than the 04-07.

Personally, I'd look at the 2014-2016 CBRs. All of the bugs had been worked out by then. You could probably find a nice one for $8K or less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everybody has their preferences. Here is my suggestion:
I have a 2008. I would recommend looking at something newer than 2007 due to the substantial redesign for the 2008 model year to be more compact and lighter. I haven't ridden anything newer from Honda, but a riding buddy has a 2018 BMW S1000RR which has been tuned (he bought it new). My bike has -1/+2 gearing and a tuned Power Commander. My buddy, who is very experienced in track days, rode my bike. When he got off, he said "my bike is no faster than yours". I paid $5500 compared to his near $20k.

·
Registered
1 Posts

OPTION A:
$5,000
2007 Honda CBR 1000rr
25,000 miles

OPTION B:
$10,000
2017 Honda CBR 1000rr
22,000 miles

OPTION A:
$5,000
2007 Honda CBR 1000rr
25,000 miles

OPTION B:
$10,000
2017 Honda CBR 1000rr
22,000 miles
I would go with the 17'. I owned both and still have the 17', it's a far superior machine. I agree on shipping for less miles though, not really a deal breaker because it should run forever if maintained, but you should be able to find one with less miles with no problem.

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Are both the bikes stock?
I have an 06 that is very well sorted, full Olins suspension, Brembo brakes, clutch, full Akra exhaust, Power Commander, Dyno tuned, Geared +1 -1, Afam sprockets, frame,fork and swingarm protectors, Lap timer, DNA filter, and a whole bunch of other smaller things. I think it has about 20k and is an unbelievable bike. I can run with modern bikes with more HP with no problem. Only weighs in at 420lbs with 1/4 tank of gas.
Look for something like this near that price range and you have a very nice bike that will be awesome for a long time. And the 06-07 were the best looking years. Sellers never get their money out of upgrades like this unless they part out the bike. Might sell mine this year as I am doing mostly off road dual sport riding these days.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Shameless plug - I am about to put up for sale my 2017 with 2.5K miles and plenty extras for $10.5K. I think 10K for 22000 miles is on the high side.
Up here in Northern Maine people treat old busted stuff like it's new when they go to sell it. Rarely clean often bike or car doesn't run and they ask an arm & Leg for it. Here's a kicker. My Royal Star Venture and My 03 Softail both had 29k miles when acquired. The locals said I was nuts due to the mileage. The RSV Had electrical issues. Shop estimate $1700. Got the bike for $900 fixed it that nite. The Harley was wrecked. Guy took it in horse trading in as is condition another biker was going to fix it for him. It sat in a she'd 5 yearsI till I heard about it welded up a trike kit in trade for it. Was riding it a week later. There is much to be said about lack of creature comforts/aids. If I had my way the computer would be in a trash can and a set of 48 mikuni carbs feeding it. 09_Blade knows exactly where I'm coming from. I've adapted to computerization because it wasn't so hard for me after 10 yrs in the I.T. industry. Otherwise I wouldn't have it due to shop labor costs just to find out what's wrong.
I need a change of shorts when I consider what my 06 project would be costing if I was a tec... Take your time. Listen to we hat these Brothers are telling you. Once you buy it you will live with it if it's a good bike and deal. Or without it if its bad and parked in the garage all the time.
My 2 cents..
Peace

·
Registered
91 Posts
Haven't read through all the responses yet, but here is my .02:

IMO, a 2017 with that many miles is not worth 10k. I recognize I got a decent deal, but I paid 10,400 OTD for my 2018 1000RR (with 0 miles). I'm completely onboard with Honda build quality and whatnot, but if it was me, I wouldn't spend that much on a '17 with over 20k. You could probably get on cycle trader right now and find a better deal than that.

With that said, if you were to find another newer model (17+) with lower miles and a better price, there are definitely a lot of reasons to go with it. LED lights, great gauges, lighter, more power, better suspension components, plus all the parts are newer and haven't been sitting around for potentially 15ish years. With the older bike, you could be looking at hundreds or even thousands of dollars in maintenance or repairs, depending on how well it was maintained by previous owners.

I'll add that my previous bike was an '06, and a part of me still regrets selling it for the '18. The 06 was a fantastic street bike. Lots of power down low and in the mid range. The 17+ are more track oriented. The power is all up high. My bike doesn't really get moving until after 6k, and I've it ECU tuned by an old member of these forums. The top end is pretty gnarly, though.

Overall though I think it always boils down to personal preference. If you don't possess the riding skill to get every ounce of performance out of the bike, then I don't think either is a bad choice. Go with the one that looks the best, really.

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
859 Posts
I basically agree with sketterman too. I've had my 05 for 13 years now, but I know all I have done to it, how it has been maintained, and it runs great. But buying an older, used bike can be a crap shoot, and you don't want to sink a lot of money into something that isn't really worth alot.
I am a little surprised at the prices mentioned here. In Arizona they are asking $14,000 to 15,000 for a 17+, and $11,000 to 12,000 for a 15-16 on Cycletrader. Don't know if they are all getting those prices, but everything is a lot higher right now it seems.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's a Honda. It will last a long time. Granted when I provided my opinion it goes under the assumption both bikes are in relatively good condition. If you're new to riding or just feeling it out Choice A still stands as you would be able to sell the cheaper bike quicker if you decided it wasn't for you. If you decided to keep it you'd have extra funds for repairs or upgrades. Insurance is expensive on the 2017. Something else to consider. You wouldn't need full coverage on the older bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just checked Cycle Trader within a 100-mile radius of my area (just north of San Diego) and the market seems really high here, too. I window shop for bikes on a fairly regular basis and without fail (until just now, apparently) you could always find a 2017 1000RR listed for $9,999.99. Right now I don't see any under $13,999.99, and the cheapest used bike is an 08, 23k miles, for $7k. That trend is the same for all the Japanese liter bikes.

I think someone mentioned already that it's worth waiting for the right bike, and maybe for the OP this is a good time to hold off until prices come back down.

In any case, best of luck to him (y)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Demand is up and production is down. May be a whole before the market adjusts to normal. I think with either purchase you won't be prone to a market bubble seen in housing lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Demand is up and production is down. May be a whole before the market adjusts to normal. I think with either purchase you won't be prone to a market bubble seen in housing lol.
Housing, down here in South FL, is ridiculous right now, ... and so is the used car market.... wonder if the same forces are pulling on the used motorcycle market as well? Makes sense that it would, @child_of_fire

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Housing, down here in South FL, is ridiculous right now, ... and so is the used car market.... wonder if the same forces are pulling on the used motorcycle market as well? Makes sense that it would, @child_of_fire
Used vehicle values are through the roof across the board. The further away you get from urban centers the worse it is.. real estate is a boggle and much worse.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm certainly glad I bought my CBR when I did. And yes the used market is crazy, which is why when I bought it made more sense to buy new even though usually I buy used.

·
SuperMod
828 Posts
Here's my 2 cents on this your choice.

Condition really matters so make sure you check all bikes properly.

I got a really good deal on my 2007 when I bought it but then, needed a bunch of work, even when the prev owner had done some recent things.
For a bike that old, you'll probably have to rebuild the brake system (master cylinder, calipers, hoses), fork seals might be shot, front forks do take a beating over time and get pitted. Big expense if you need to change the tubes.
Rims, especially front, do get bent and you might have a tough time finding one in used market.
Chain and sprockets might need replacing.
Front rotors wear with use and could get expensive to replace. Cheap ebay rotors are available but I think they are generally of low quality. I would bring a caliper and measure those.

Hard to say how much but a 2007 in need of repairs might cost you around $1-2K in parts to redo if all the items I mentioned need to be fixed.
So i'm thinking that a 2017 has a lower chance of needing repairs than the 06.

Look at both bikes with eye on what you might have to repair and especially big ticket items like rims, rotors, forks and add that to the asking price.

Also, original fairings add a ton to the value of the bike and speak somewhat to how the bike was taken care of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just did such upgrade last month, had the 2005 with 2007 eng, all mods from here, loved the Old bike.
Liked it from its look and slip-on location to its ride (vs ktm 1290 2021 - did not pull away a lot, Maybe quick-shift..)
The Old bike is essy for Maintenance and can Only say good things about it (Maybe wight)
Did the bike upgrade as Im not as sharp as i was when i got it more than 10y ago.

Had to get my new 2018 on a dyno with yoshi and BMC filter to get the feel of power i had with my lod bike~.
So far the main thing for my upgrade:
I know i have more tech to support my ride.
Like any new bike, all things are in place like OEM did.
If you go from modified 2005 to OEM 2018, i think you will feel it has a lot less power, for me even now after dyno...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts