Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I had to drill holes in my fairing on my F4i as well. Basically what I did was take the fairings off and install the frame slider with the fairing off. Then I put the fairing on and the frame slider put an indent in the foam on the fairing. Then I CAREFULLY drilled the hole. Putting masking tape around it will give it a clean cut. check out this article. That's where I learned how to do it. http://www.cbrworld.net/articles/Articles_detail.asp?IDArticle=9&ArticleType=2

·
Registered
526 Posts
On my F4i I used play-doh instead of the foam. Worked pretty good. Gives a perfect indent that doesnt shift or move.
The Moriwaki's I put on the RR came with a guide sheet that you cut out and attach to the fairing. That worked perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
TLS-RR said:
Ok I've already heard the bad news about having to drill a hole in my fairing. What is the best way to go about this process?
What kind of sliders are you getting? Valtermoto certainly puts out sliders for the 1000RR that dont need any drilling (they have a kind of plate that bolts to the frame and the actual slider protrudes through the upper gap in the fairing). They come with the Ten Kate version of the 1000(you should be able to find pics of this), but you can buy just the sliders. I've ordered some Oggy Knobs (Australian brand) that basically mount in the same way. I have to say that the bracket from Valtermoto looked a little stronger but I wanted something that would be ready when the new bike arrives.... 3 weeks to go due to financing issues at my end :) ). To be fair I think the knobs that go need drilling loks a little more solid, but I'm really hoping to never give it an errm crash test and I like the idea of leaving my fairing intact.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Shogun just made a new version of their no-cut frame sliders with a bracket that is easily almost twice as thick and beefy as their last ones. I will post pics of my bike with them on as soon as Paul from Shogun sends me a linkl to the pics we shot. Very nice product. The guy is way anal about quality too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
if I had to it over again, I would put play-doh on the inside of the fairing, then put a long bolt into the mounting location... a bolt that is just long enough so that it will make an indent in the play-doh when I put the fairing back on... but not so long that it sticks out like the slider will
anywho, use this marking bolt to make the mark in the playdoh, and that's where you drill. Drill a small pilot hole first, from the inside out. Then use the appropriate size hole saw, and go from the outside in.
I used the frame slider iteself to make the mark on the inside of the fairing, but it didn't line up perfectly, due to how much the fairing was away from the bike because the slider is so long. They are Sato's, and didn't have the template like the Mori's.

It sounds like a scary process, but it's not that bad. If it's not perfect, a little bit of filing around the edges fixes it.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
heth said:
FlyNlow said:
WHAT???

Go with Shogun no drill frame sliders! They rock.
I don't like the location of where the no-drills mount... too far back

frame sliders need to be in the best location to do their job
I agree. Cutting the holes isn't that big of deal, if you can't do it, find a good shop to do it for you. Most high quality frame sliders will have a cutout (paper) to use as your guide, it ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
604 Posts
honda1000rr said:
I have seen a lot of those "bracket" type frame sliders bent the f**k up in a lot of photos online. I would rather have a straight slider and cut the hole.
you mean like aftermath of a crash? they buckled and crumpled? do you have pics or links of this?

·
Registered
604 Posts
sonyguy said:
I doubt these new brackets are going to bend. The rest of the bike will come apart first.
the bracket itself is quite strong... it is the connection (ie. the bolt) that is the weak link
one piece of anything is very strong... start joining seperate pieces together via bolts or whatever, and it loses strength

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.