Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So bike was outside for 2 days in the cold, not sure that matters since it would sometimes have trouble starting randomly regardless but after I left it outside I tried to start it up and it almost started but not quite, each time I tried it would be struggling more and more until what I show on the video happens.

Any ideas?
Cheers in advance!

·
Tech Moderator
182 Posts
Do you get fuel-pump prime? I've found moisture in BAS freezes up in winter and causes it to malfunction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you get fuel-pump prime? I've found moisture in BAS freezes up in winter and causes it to malfunction.
I'll be honest not sure what you mean, I'm not very savy with technical stuff on the bike. How do I check if I get fuel-pump prime? And what you said makes sense about the moisture since it was outside for like 3 rainy days in the cold, assuming it's that maybe after a couple days back in the garage it will be back to normal?

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
149 Posts
Forget your pump for now since its not even cranking.

Clean your battery terminals.

Follow the negative battery cable down to where it connects to the motor/frame. Remove the cable and clean the corrosion off the cable and the surfaces it contacts. Wipe some dielectric grease on it and bolt it down tight.

Do the same for the positive cable. It goes to the starter motor.

If this fails to get it to crank, buy a new battery.
If it spins and makes horrible noise, you may need a new sprag clutch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate all the answers, the battery was completely drained, had to recharge it again and it started right up. So seems everything is fine? But sirely the battery isn’t since just 2 or 3 days out in the cold and battery got drained? Or seems like it’s draining too fast over time or something, don’t think the battery is very old but it did come with the bike when I bought it second hand already so no clue. Guess it might be time to shop for another one, is it worth getting lithium batteries or just regular?

·
Registered
2005 CBR1000RR Turbo, 2002 CBR 954RR
149 Posts
I've had zeros issues with my Shorai lithium batteries. I have one in every bike. My oldest one is 9 years old. They save me money and time since I have too many batteries to tend. I used to buy at east one new lead acid battery every spring.

·
Tech Moderator
182 Posts
Had my AntiGravity and MMG lithium batteries for close to 10-yrs now. Always worked perfectly. One in my CBR lives outside with bike and had no issues starting in 20F for my daily commutes to S.F.

If you have any issues with cold, just hold start-button down. Current flowing through it may not be enough to run starter, but will warm up battery innards. At some point, it will be warm enough to supply needed current to start bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts