Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to get some risers for SP1 2017.

Since I’m new in here I try to make it a one post shop for others to use info for it later also. I will add pics and info once I get them and give advice also.

Looking at 1” rise from std, what have you tried and bought?

what is rise on oem? And cable issues? I will get Brembo MC later and add on braided lines so cabling I will order 1” longer then To make up for loss later.

What add ons did you buy with/for them ? Ie adapters due to turn lock issue Lower mc adapter for brake for imstance

Bar thickness?

TIA and looking forward for pics

what I’m looking at..35mm Rise Side Mount Adjustable Angle Clipon Risers (with 7/8" bars)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bar thickness is 7/8". The WC bars are longer than stock so you don't really run out of room for example with extra space needed for double banjo at MC, which is a major problem with OEM bars because the Brembo MC has the bolt hole closer to the bar and you may not be able to angle the brake lever down enough for your body position. Only modification I did was replace all the zinc hardware with stainless because the zinc plated steel bolts it comes with will rust eventually.

A set of WC heavy bar weights are needed to damp vibrations. As for controls, you will need to either drill the new bars or cut out/remove the anti-rotation pins on the controls. Easiest way to do this is to get a sheet of paper wrap it around your old bar and mark the holes then overlay that on new bars to center punch/drill. It's important to get the holes lined up relative to each other because that can't be easily changed.

Reactions: Kidnplay01

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic advice and tips. With these adjuster ones in link it may help problems of hitting etc angle down a bit perhaps

any pics by chance?

·
Registered
242 Posts

Took a few pictures. What's different about the WC bars vs OEM is that the axis of the OEM bar intersects the fork tube but the WC bar is further out so it gives you enough offset to rotate the master cylinder as much as you want and even with a double banjo you won't hit anything.

One more thing you mention SP1 so I assume you have the Ohlins. You need to lift the front end, max out the preload, and measure the length before ordering lines because the Ohlins tops out differently from OEM. When you add preload the Ohlins forks extend up to 1 inch extra. I had an issue with a Galfer kit and Goodridge kit that would not work because of this extra top-out so you really have to prop it up and measure it.

Reactions: Kidnplay01

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Might wanna look into Apex riser bars. Excellent quality, and unlimited adjustability. Not the cheapest but well worth it.
You can check out the review and install videos on STG.

Here's mine installed with a 3" rise and much better bar angle. No issues with clearance but I have the fork clamps turned out straight to the sides where the bar goes in even with the fork tubes. I cut the bars down 1.5" storter
15967694498741638072141425884714.jpg
15967695484004366080553976459700.jpg
15967697913695414417320040033645.jpg

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Oh and stock Throttle cable is long enough although I have a Motion Pro Rev2 installed so it may be different with stock Throttle and I did go with a longer clutch cable, Venhill sells them if needed.
If you just plan on a 1" rise with the same bar angle and offset (stock is 7 degrees I believe) I'm fairly certain you shouldn't need anything else special.
My suggestion would be to get the bars, fit them where you want, and then route and measure for brake lines, throttle, and clutch cables. Takes longer but will save you time and money in the long run. When installing mine I ordered longer brake lines when I ordered the risers and had to send the brake lines back to be cut shorter. Luckily it was over the winter so time wasn't an issue

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all, so am I right with for ohlins forks it’s the 50mm?

What rise does oem Honda have as I need to add on top of that 1-2”.

I don’t get the 1” over “std race fit”! they state and I’m wondering what is std vs what Honda gives us vs being sure it is giving me more height.

std length bars at 7/8

I have emailed WC 3 times, replies are bad weather there, out to race meets etc

these I’m assuming 35mm rise with change angle
35mm Rise Side Mount Adjustable Angle Clipon Risers (with 7/8" bars)

Or these simply 1.5” height only
1.5 Inch Clipon Risers (with standard 7/8" bars)

thanks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
for all previous models (assuming the SC77 is the same) the stock clip ons have a 1" rise over "standard race fit" so if you want another 1"-2" rise you will need to purchase a 3" riser bar and adjust to your liking.
I went with the 4" Apex adjustable risers but only use about a 3" rise as you can see in the pictures posted previously.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
as far as bar length you can cut (or adjust) them to your liking. Most aftermarket clip ons are longer than stock.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I did also notice as 09_blade previously posted that if you go with a negative bar offset (stock is -7 degree) that you will run into issues with the brake line banjo bolt from the master cylinder interference with the clip on post.
I went with a 0 degree offset which is why I have no issues

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Side mount means the bars are mounted from the side of the fork tube so the bars will be closer to the rider VS front mount like the stock clip ons.
Since the stock clip ons have a 1" rise the two riser sets you have linked will be 2" over your stock bars.
They also have 3 adjustable angle positions

Seems like a steep price for what you are getting. Woodcraft makes quality stuff but for less money you get much more adjustability with the Apex risers.
With the Apex risers you don't need to choose fork tube mounting point or specific rise height as they are fully adjustable on both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are you recommendation? I’m simply after easy changes from future track to touring country roads. Mostly the later and being 6ft and 110kg 40+yo squeezed rider position on SP1 I’m after not bent down so much and comfort riding

Apex 3" Riser Clip-on Set with 7/8" Bar

I’m not tied to WC and TBH prefer elsewhere given sent them 4 emails for help and no answer in return but to call from Australia to US and somehow they can’t type answers in email.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm I’m sold..

Reactions: 2015HRC

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question- note my bike is yet to be delivered hence help Appreciated.

Given Apex unlimited adjust one would look at 3” on top of oem cables.

Brake cables ABS pack order +3” they can custom do it.

but accelerator cable, clutch cable and anything else? How do I go about those?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You are adding 3 inches??? I don't know if the brake reservoir would clear the front fairing with +3 in. Might have to get a fork clamp mount for it. I strongly advise you wait to get the bike then measure everything to make sure you have enough clearance for what you plan to order.

Reactions: 2015HRC

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, std size is 1.5” on Honda, I have available add 1.5 high but the Apex also Angles and movements on fork can see it move an inch or 2 also.
See video above

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought them.. now waiting for Apex to ship to me in Australia

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Bought them.. now waiting for Apex to ship to me in Australia
Did you get the 3" or 4" risers?
I opted for the 4" even though you really can't use the total rise without fairing interference lock to lock I figured it couldn't hurt to have the extra available adjustment

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought about 4” but then when you consider infinite adjust like side all angles back and forth you can gain an extra couple inches there also.

I’m looking for more upright so your easier and back issues and if it fails then just by 4” separate part as shipping was cheap $35 to Au.

my main concern though is drilling hole and sticking with it. As they go on about infinite adjust but that means more holes drilled.. neverlone making them identical angles side to side.

I foresee many happy hrs in garage when they come to at least get base std happening / as far as oem cables allow me as I’m yet to find where/who will do custom cable lengths for abs brakes.

btw why are abs brake cables a few hundred more then non abs??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts