Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've tried for a few days to troubleshoot this, but thought I would ask as I feel I can't be the only person to have had this issue.

I cannot "Read ECU", some sort of communication issue I believe. My set up

2017 CBR1000rr SP - already has a Woolich tune on it, bought the bike and hardware from previous owner
Windows 10 desktop - less than 2 months old, Woolich software installed
V3 logbox
6' USB cable extension
USB cable to connect to the logbox
Cable to connect logbox to red connector in the trunk

The issue:
Connect the logbox to the computer, I can view logs with the software and all is good
Connect logbox to bike, hit "new" in the program, select year/make/model/ECU, then "Read ECU"
Get the green status bar moving to the right, gets to the end and I get a pop up that says:
1. Turn ignition off
2. Hit OK button
3. Turn ignition on

This cycle repeats endlessly, on occasion I get an error message that the ECU is not communicating

I've opened a trouble ticket with Woolich, they suggested I recover the ECU which seems dramatic
I'm hoping someone here has seen this issue and has a less invasive solution or did I miss something? Should I ditch the desktop and buy a used laptop? ditch the logbox and buy the harness??

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Oh yeah, your ECU was already flashed.

To be honest, I never did have success reading a previous flash off the ECU - just writing back over the ECU.

Do you have the actual Woolich hardware that was used to flash that ECU originally?

Also I believe the ECU/Tune/Hardware are all tied to the original owners Woolich User ID.

Are you trying to bench flash/read the ECU or flash/read it on the bike?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the original equipment that was used, all set up by Woolich so I'm registered.
I haven't tried to flash the ECU, thought I should read it first and save the tune that's in it.

I have access to the Mapshares, but haven't tried flashing one

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I have the original equipment that was used, all set up by Woolich so I'm registered.
I haven't tried to flash the ECU, thought I should read it first and save the tune that's in it.

I have access to the Mapshares, but haven't tried flashing one
Hmm - I seem to recall being told that the tune/ecu/Woolich hardware are all tied together and if that relationship is dissolved you can only flash over the ECU, not read the tune off the ECU.
But do verify with Anthony.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Send me your ECU and I can reset it back to a stock configuration.
My track bike, 17 CBR1000rr base, was tuned with Flashtune. Can you set that back to stock so I can use the Woolich??

·
Registered
996 Posts
no -- once flashed with FTECU -- it is bricked from Woolich
^^ Thats not accurate. These ECUs can be be restored to a 100% fully stock configuration... but FTECU certainty is not going to facilitate switching to their competitor, and clearly Woolich doesn't want to expose the ability to do this in the software they make available to customers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
^^ Thats not accurate. These ECUs can be be restored to a 100% fully stock configuration... but FTECU certainty is not going to facilitate switching to their competitor, and clearly Woolich doesn't want to expose the ability to do this in the software they make available to customers.
Does this include resetting the ECU write count? Not that it makes any difference except maybe for warranty on a new bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
so your essentially saying what i said .. once FTECU is written on the ECU -- there is no way to return this to complete total stock and then use it for woolich. It is bricked from Woolich.

I have talked to FTECU and confirmed this already

·
Registered
996 Posts
so your essentially saying what i said .. once FTECU is written on the ECU -- there is no way to return this to complete total stock and then use it for woolich. It is bricked from Woolich.

I have talked to FTECU and confirmed this already
No I am not saying what you said at all. You are claiming that the ECU can not be restored to stock, that is straight up false. What I said is FTECU will not restore your ECU for you and neither will Woolich. The ECU is not bricked, please dont use that term.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
No I am not saying what you said at all. You are claiming that the ECU can not be restored to stock, that is straight up false. What I said is FTECU will not restore your ECU for you and neither will Woolich. The ECU is not bricked, please dont use that term.
Woolich will allow you to return any ECU you have to OEM stock if the OEM stock image is included in the Woolich library.

They have many stock ECU images, it turns out that the SP2 is one of the ECUs that even they cannot retore to OEM stock, just to stock attributes.

I have to ask, have you actually restored an SC77 ECU back to OEM after it was flashed with either FTECU or Woolich?

And as for what Death is referring to, FTECU didn't say they wouldn't return the OEM stock, they said the couldn't.

The reason many SP2 owners in our user group have approached FTECU to do this is because they (FTECUU)are still unable to work with the SP2 ECU properly and there a couple bricked SP2 ECUs.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The reason many SP2 owners in our user group have approached FTECU to do this is because they (FTECUU)are still unable to work with the SP2 ECU properly and there a couple bricked SP2 ECUs.
The way I understand the problem is that FTECU figured out how to unlock the bootloader, a normally write protected area, and this bootloader code contains password checks needed for security access mode and to read the ecu. Flashing a stock bin over a FTECU flashed ECU (without unlocking the bootloader) will reset most of the ecu back to a stock state but you will still not be able to read the use using the normal default password. Now I have never used Woolich software so I am only speculating here, but when you first try and register an ECU with Woolich software it does tries to do a read of the ECU which fails because of the non-default password. The FTECU flashed ecu flashed with a stock bin can still be reflashed with custom maps and still works in the bike. This is far from being "bricked".

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
The way I understand the problem is that FTECU figured out how to unlock the bootloader, a normally write protected area, and this bootloader code contains password checks needed for security access mode and to read the ecu. Flashing a stock bin over a FTECU flashed ECU (without unlocking the bootloader) will reset most of the ecu back to a stock state but you will still not be able to read the use using the normal default password. Now I have never used Woolich software so I am only speculating here, but when you first try and register an ECU with Woolich software it does tries to do a read of the ECU which fails because of the non-default password. The FTECU flashed ecu flashed with a stock bin can still be reflashed with custom maps and still works in the bike. This is far from being "bricked".
Have you taken an FTECU flashed ECU and restored an OEM image over it?

If you use FTECU to flash an SC77 SP2 ECU the result is a useless ECU. The bike will not work properly - so for all intents and purposes an FTECU flashed SP2 SC77 ECU is bricked as you cannot even use it as a base to flash with Woolich after it has been FTECU flashed.

And again - even FTECU have told SP2 owners they are shit out of luck and their ECU is not recoverable after flashing with FTECU.

We have multiple members in our SP2 owners group that have paid fo new ECUs just to get out of the FTECU fuckup.

BTW, when you first load up Woolich and try flash an SP2 it does read the image and is able to send it to Woolich - this is exactly what I did when I provided them the first SP2 ECU image - so not sure what you mean by this "Now I have never used Woolich software so I am only speculating here, but when you first try and register an ECU with Woolich software it does tries to do a read of the ECU which fails because of the non-default password. "

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have talked with and have in email from FTECU as recent as June that they cannot return my ecu to pure stock / virgin / unmolested - whatever language you want to use my ECU so that i can reuse it for Woolich. If they cannot do this, as far as I am concerned it is bricked. MY original OEM ECU can only be used for FTECU going forward. They do not advertise this before you flash an ECU.

additionally, their program has limits that is / are unacceptable :
* the ability to raise the rev limited - not possible
* the ability to reset fan temp - not possible
* scaling on the base image is off inaccurate / just plain wrong
* ETV tables are jacked
* disable fuel cut - not possible
* at the time - could not clear engine codes or HESD code ( though i am told that this has been resolved )
* plus other small crap that escapes me

they advertise bugs on their website back in June but this is after they sold me their product in 2018. So unless they can do these functions - which i have on record that they cannot, I need to use Woolich and they can't do that --neither could Bauce Racing that uses both programs. I had to buy a new ECU from Honda ( that was back ordered ) and start over with Woolich.

I have experience with both programs - unlike you - and know exactly what can + can't be done

·
Registered
996 Posts
BTW, when you first load up Woolich and try flash an SP2 it does read the image and is able to send it to Woolich - this is exactly what I did when I provided them the first SP2 ECU image - so not sure what you mean by this "Now I have never used Woolich software so I am only speculating here, but when you first try and register an ECU with Woolich software it does tries to do a read of the ECU which fails because of the non-default password. "
All of the ECUs used in Honda bikes released in the US/EU markets have the same password to get into security access mode, which allows reading/writing the flash, ram and eeprom. To protect tunes on the ECU and to help with licensing its common practice to change this password from the default to something else. FTECU does this. On the FTECU flashed ECU I've worked with after flashing a stock bin the custom password remains if you use the normal write procedure but most of the other changes are gone as the FTECU software will no longer detect the ECU as being paired with their software but can still read the ECU. So this is where other software (mine, HondaFlasher, Woolich) has issues reading the ECU after its been touched by FTECU. The communications I've seen from FTECU suggest they have patched the bin they flash to provide additional security and if other companies can't figure out how to restore the ECU stock the other companies issue, not theirs. So cant/wont... dont want to get into a semantic argument here but based on the work I have seen from both companies I believe they both have reverse engineers that can restore this (without cutting it). I can only speculate about why they wont but I think it has to do with not wanting to risk actually bricking a super expensive ECU that is on backorder.

·
Registered
215 Posts
All of the ECUs used in Honda bikes released in the US/EU markets have the same password to get into security access mode, which allows reading/writing the flash, ram and eeprom. To protect tunes on the ECU and to help with licensing its common practice to change this password from the default to something else. FTECU does this. On the FTECU flashed ECU I've worked with after flashing a stock bin the custom password remains if you use the normal write procedure but most of the other changes are gone as the FTECU software will no longer detect the ECU as being paired with their software but can still read the ECU. So this is where other software (mine, HondaFlasher, Woolich) has issues reading the ECU after its been touched by FTECU. The communications I've seen from FTECU suggest they have patched the bin they flash to provide additional security and if other companies can't figure out how to restore the ECU stock the other companies issue, not theirs. So cant/wont... dont want to get into a semantic argument here but based on the work I have seen from both companies I believe they both have reverse engineers that can restore this (without cutting it). I can only speculate about why they wont but I think it has to do with not wanting to risk actually bricking a super expensive ECU that is on backorder.
" ...but most of the other changes are gone as the FTECU software .."

as I said, the ECU cannot be returned to stock .. if working correctly, 'near' stock at best ... and they / no one else advertises this and none will replace the ECU .. once flashed it is never again true virgin ..

if these companies produce top quality / stand behind their product ... no issues .. with our honda's FTECU is not this type of company

1 - 20 of 37 Posts