Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,097 Posts
That's a tough question. I'll start by saying I have a 2005 in perfect condition, but with 36,000 miles on it. I wouldn't trade it for the world right now. That being said, a year ago an average SC57 was probably worth about $5,000. I have seen them listed for $7,000 to $8,000 recently. Your location can affect the price some. The bike looks good and the mileage is great. If you thoroughly check it out and it runs and shifts good it will be a great bike. You should still try to bargain on the price. Bottom line, I don't think you can buy a better litre bike for $7,000.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the quick reply! Glad to hear I can go in and hopefully not leave with buyers remorse. I simply can't justify 20k on something brand new. With its timeless design and minimal electronics I think I'll be a happy. I'm a mechanic / body guy by trade I'll be going over it thoroughly. But you being a long term owner anything in particular I should be sure to inspect? Known issues ect ect?

· Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,097 Posts
With your experience and mechanical knowledge there won't be anything on that bike that you can't handle. Maybe I just got lucky, but I bought mine with about 6,000 miles on it too, but in 2009, I've had no major mechanical problems. I did rebuild the front forks early on. I've changed out all the fairings several times, I like different graphic looks from time to time. If you go through all the fluids and do regular maintenance, you should be very happy with it. Also, I really like the minimal electronics of that era. I like to just get on and ride. I like to think my computer aids are my brain, hands and feet. You will be amazed at the performance level of the SC57 generation bikes. Some of the best looking too.

· Registered
196 Posts
Thank you very much for the quick reply! Glad to hear I can go in and hopefully not leave with buyers remorse. I simply can't justify 20k on something brand new. With its timeless design and minimal electronics I think I'll be a happy. I'm a mechanic / body guy by trade I'll be going over it thoroughly. But you being a long term owner anything in particular I should be sure to inspect? Known issues ect ect?
That price is likely influenced by both the fact that it's a dealer and that prices are still a little on the steep side overall. Better than they were a few months ago, though.

With that said, I guess it's all subjective, really. When I bought my old '06 in...I think it was in 2016...I paid $4800 and it had just over 7k miles. This was a Craigslist ad...and in SoCal...for reference. Prices have been so inflated as of late, good deals are hard to come by. Maybe in a few more months we'll see things drop back to a more 'normal' state.

If it was me, I wouldn't spend that much on an '04, even if it had 2k miles...but that's why I say it's subjective, because I'm sure there are plenty here who would probably jump on that bike right away. I don't know that the '04 had any 'infamous' issues. From what I recall...and memory is sketch...I would say the '04 was a solid bike.

In the end, though, as you suggested already, you have to consider the age of all the parts. That would be my number one concern, aside from any unseen internal issues. Low miles is good, but it also means that the bike has barely been ridden in the past two decades. That's a lot of sitting around, which could be just as bad a something with high miles.

Right now on Cycletrader I see a 2012 1KRR with 7,700 miles going for for $9,500 (and taking offers). 2.5k more than the one you are looking at, but also 8 years newer, and I would say objectively a much better bike overall (sorry @mountain CBR !!). Of course, it might not be local to you, either, but just an example.

In any case, in the event that the bike has no major issues, it's hard to fathom that you would have any amount of disappointment if you bought it. Old or not, it's still a Honda, parts are readily available, and the first year 1KRR was a pretty big deal.

Shaun

· Registered
2005 CBR1000rr
1,097 Posts
Hey Shaun....You're right, newer should be better, and probably is, especially the SC77s. But if budget is a big concern, the SC57s are an awful good deal for $7,000 or hopefully less.....all based on condition of course.....you lucky 18 owner.
:love:

Gary

· Registered
489 Posts
I flipped one about 6 months ago. Bought it for 5. Sold it for $6500. It had 5k miles (like 5200). Completely stock. All the jackasses on the forum said I had it priced too high. I think I sold it cheap. My mistake was listing on FB as opposed to Offer Up. Sold almost immediately on Offer Up. It was an 05. I wouldn't pay that from a dealer though because of taxes. Not sure where you are but that would add $700 where I'm at.

· Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Check out my 06, has all the upgrades and more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts