Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let my buddy ride my bike today...so I am following him down the road and as we brake for a light he revs the engine and white smoke comes out of the exhaust. I was like Wtf :yikes: So i follow him some more and I keep seeing puffs of white smoke. I rode home after that and revved it up and didn't see anything but what could this be? I refuse to believe that oil is getting into the cylinders (the smoke would be blue). I am taking it in for the 600 mi svc tomorrow but this is very concerning. Anyone else notice this on their bike?

·
Sprung
1,001 Posts
Of the three 1000RRs in my area that I ride with, every one of them smoked until about 600 miles or so, even mine. Cleaning the oily soot off the tail light and rear cowl is fun. ;)

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
Was it smoke, or condensation? One of the natural by-products of combustion is water. I see that all the time out of my pipe. The catalytic converter helps convert a little more of the combustion gasses to water vapor as well (and how often do people leave those on?).

I think it looks pretty rad myself :D I plan on keeping the cat on anyway. The wife and I were joking about putting a flame kit on the exhaust too :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
My 600rr does the same - it's condensation. I've had the RR for a year now with 10,924 miles clocked and she hasn'tburned an ounce of oil yet. I don't think it's anything for you to worry about, but then again who knows...

·
Registered
298 Posts
mine was very noticable to the point that i was letting it warm up before my first ride and it was parked outside the garage and by the time i came downstairs (2 minutes after starting it up) and opened the garage door i could smell some weird smoke/burning smell - i havent really noticed it since my first ride and i only have 160 miles on mine so far

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The smoke coming out of the pipe is normal. I've had crazy smoke pour out from the front of the bike twice now. Once was after about an hour on the throttle at 100+ mph in the rain (Trying to get home from up North before the tornado's hit...). I stopped, turned the bike off, and about 10 seconds later the bike started billowing smoke (Actually it looked more like steam) from the front end. I have no idea what was causing it, but it was coming up through the triple tree/gauge cluster area, it smelled kinda funny, and after about 10 seconds it stopped. The other time was a hot day, after a spirited ride, but it was only a little smoke and for only 4-5 seconds. The second time looked more like burnt electrical smoke.

Both times me and my GF were like WTF... After inspection, both times there were no visible signs of what the culprit was.

I've had other new bikes that got that smoke and smell while burning off the cosmoline (Not sure if they still use that when shipping bikes overseas), but this bike had over 1500 miles when this happened.

Sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
39 Posts
While I don't own a 1000 I do own a 600 and I wouldn't say it is condensation since once the bike is warm, let alone hot, all moisture is gone. If you check the inside of the exhaust @ the end, when cooled, you'll note a large amount of soot. The cbr600rr's are known to run very rich in stock form and with a PCIII they are regularly leaned out for better fuel mileage and a bit more negligible power. I would think that this could be the same situation for your 1000's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.