Honda CBR 1000RR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I told you guys I was going to ride Ice929's ZX10 this weekend on our way to the AMA races so we switched bikes and got about an hour on each other's. I gave Ice929 a hard time all day for buying a kawasaki (he's admittedly a honda guy) but I think the Dyno charts are what sucked him in. Initially picking the bike up off the stand it does feel lighter than the 1000rr, but that is the only time the bike felt lighter. Ergonomics feel very similar to the 1000rr and the transmission is very nice, equal to the 1000rr. The engine is good but not as smooth as the honda, buzzes some around 4k and does not feel like it has as much torque in the 4-8k range though I can't remember what the dyno results have found. I do like the narrow tank. My dislikes are the throttle play (significant) and the serious heat being put off by the engine. I wasn't sure about the engine heat when Ice929 and I discussed each other's bike after the ride, but once I got back on the honda it was obvious. My left leg was burning up on the kawasaki and I feel no heat or very little on the 1000rr from either side (air temp about 90 F). We both commented afterwards that you just can't beat the Honda quality. Looking at the ZX10 it looks maybe a notch below the honda, but while riding it felt a few notches below. I can not explain the feeling but I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about if you have ridden any of the other manufacturer's bikes. The honda just feels like a tight package with everything put together tightly. The ZX10 feels a little sloppy comparibly. Overall it's a really good bike, but any feeling of inferiority in the power department is gone after riding the 10r. There was no noticable power advantage regardless of what the dyno's/reviews say. I'm hoping Ice929 will post a comparison as well from his point of view. He might have gone down and traded in his ZX10 for the 1000rr already though :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
After checking out the Kawa at the dealership, the throttle handlebar grip had like 1/4" play from wiggling left and right .... that seems like it'd be a major pain in the ass if I'm in a turn and the handlebar slips up (or down), creating a different amount of pressure on the bars and screwing up my perfect line.

I wiggled the handlebar grip left to right and showed the dealership guys and I said "is this supposed to be like this?" and they all said yeah.

Any thought I ever had about choosing between the two bikes disappeared right there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It was really hard to find any real fault with the 1000rr, i wish i had one too! i might sell my 929, keep the zx-10, and get a 100rr next year too. well, its hard to find any real fault with either bike. both of them seem extremely capable. I wasnt really up to doing much of an evaluation yesterday as i was sneezing up and down california. I really like the smooth power delivery of the rr, and it feels more stable going through the few corners i got to take it through. The mirrors worked and were clear, and the bike pulled cleanly from down low. i feel the rr has a bit more power through the midrange, as it pulled pretty hard in a 5th gear roll on down the freeway (thats when i went 110 or so down the slow lane lol), i never really got too far into the top end, as there was too much traffic, but it did start to feel as though the zx has more power from 9k on. the RR feels more like a turbine engine building power compared to the zx, which has different stages through the rpm band. the zx reaches a certain point and then EXPLODES with power. Oh, i didnt like the seat at all, and the blinker switch doesnt stick out far enough :lol: the zx steers much more quickly and changes directions much easier, though the rr felt more stable. And i didnt feel any excess weight on the rr once it was moving, its very well balanced. The ZX is a bit more 600 like, short wheelbase and a bit radical seating. I think i could go fast on either bike, as ive been riding street for about 12 years, but i think the honda is easier to ride, but if you really know what you are doing (i hope i do or im going to be in trouble) i think you might be able to get more out of the zx... it jsut depends on how you like to ride. thats just me though. to tell you the truth, they were both excellent bikes to ride. Im going to have to ride the RR and the ZX in the hills to let you know more.. hope this was helpfull

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
I keep telling everyone who asks me "Is your bike faster then..."

All I say is, there isn't a damn bad UJM sport bike out right now. Whether it be an R1 or a 600RR, they all rock.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Ice929 pretty much agree on the differences between the two bikes. You can not go wrong with any of the bikes obviously, just depends on what factors you put more weight on. I personally put the fit/finish and overall quality of the bike high on my list since I will never come close to riding it to it's limit anyways. The ZX10 would be my second choice because I do like the bike and I like the looks of it as well. I think I would go with the Gixxer 3rd and R1 last because the more I look at that R1 it's just ugly. had a great time at the races though, anyone want to head to laguna with Ice and I? Joker?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Even though I have money down on a black RR, which should be here anyday now, I can't help but to still be drown to the 10. The look of it is really kinda cool. Powerwise....the way I figure it, a bike with even just 5 more rwhp, but 30 pounds less weight HAS to feel and actually be harder accelerating! I didn't like hearing things about the plastic sweaking on the 10. I know the RR is WAY better built. I still struggle with this decision, and I hope to decide soon. My dealer also sells the 10, so I should be able to do a side by side. Some guys that have rode the 10 tell me its such a beast, and lets face it.....for the most part, they make a good 150+rwhp. I'm talking real live dynos from ridden bikes, not the mags. I guess I need info from someone that has thrashed both of them and see what he has to say. I liked the wild power of my 01 G1K.....so that the thing that draws me to the 10 still. Guess I'll wait and see. I have NEVER had so much trouble with a decision....I usually know right away.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GBracer, sounds to me like the ZX10r is the bike for you. If your into all out power (which I think is minimal advantage at best) and not to concerned with anything else there is no doubt the kawasaki is the bike for you. It is a great bike but it just loses in the quality comparison when put up against the honda. Other than that the bike is awesome I'm sure and I think if you got the honda it would eat at you that the "dyno" says your slower. Trust me you won't be disapointed with either.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I thought you had a busa to get the straight line power kick out of you... If you want another bike that has not much else going for it then why are you asking around here? If that's really what's most important to you then just buy the ZX-10 so we can get on with our lives... No offense, but comparing the Kawi to the 1000RR is apples to oranges. Figure out if you just plan on riding wheelies, or actually using the bike for what it was designed for, that should decide what bike you need for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IronNutz said:
I thought you had a busa to get the straight line power kick out of you... If you want another bike that has not much else going for it then why are you asking around here? If that's really what's most important to you then just buy the ZX-10 so we can get on with our lives... No offense, but comparing the Kawi to the 1000RR is apples to oranges. Figure out if you just plan on riding wheelies, or actually using the bike for what it was designed for, that should decide what bike you need for you.
believe me, the zx-10 will outrun a busa or a zx-12 (i tested that out a week ago hehe), and it handles like a 600, but the rr is also excellent and quite fast and smooth, you cant go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey ice, we gonna ride some twisties this weekend? I'm hoping I have the time but with mother's day that could throw a wrench into the plans. let me know, i still have about 1/8 an inch of the tire to scrub in :) I can break yours in for you as well if needed :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
ice929 said:
IronNutz said:
believe me, the zx-10 will outrun a busa or a zx-12 (i tested that out a week ago hehe), and it handles like a 600, but the rr is also excellent and quite fast and smooth, you cant go wrong with either one.
O.K., but I'm referring to his busa, not a busa. His busa would stomp all over your ZX-10. He should get the drag racing out of his system with the busa, if he want's a bike for un-similar duties, I was saying he might want a 1000RR.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you want to trade up for another bike next year take a risk getting the zx10, but if you want to hold on to her for more than 2 years than defenitly get the better build Honda.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please guys. Enjoy your bikes but don't try and find miniscule reasons for saying one bike is better than the other. As a former RC51 owner R.I.P. :cry: , CBR600RR owner and now a ZX10R owner they all rock. The CBR is a great bike and worthy of your praise but pls don't pretend that the ZX10R is a poorly built bike. If you ever get a chance to look at the internals of a ZX10R check out the intakes. Hand polished. And as far as squeeking bodywork or excessive heat. Does anyone remember that the RC30 and RC51's ran a bit warm. All Honda's have until now, hence the larger rad, finally. My 600RR is a heating blanket at the track and I always had to take a longer break with my RC51 in order to let it cool. In contrast my ZX10R has yet to overheat.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The heating issue I mentioned had nothing to do with engine tempature. While I was riding the ZX10 the temp guage said 182-185, but it felt like 250 on my left leg the way the air exited.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I guess it depends on where you ride it and what you are wearing when you ride. Personally having put over 1000 miles on mine already I haven't experienced any heating of any kind. although the mags have reported what you did.

·
I'm slower then you
1,394 Posts
My Buell puts off a ton of heat, but I only ever feel it when the fan has been running for a long time at a dead stop in traffic. But I wear a thick suit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was riding the bike at freeway speeds between 60-90 MPH and I was wearing some Aerostitch synthetic pants and It was very noticable but only on the left side. Like I said at first I wasn't sure if it was just the heat of the day, but once I got back on the 1000rr I felt very little if any heat at those speeds so I knew then it was an issue on the ZX10. Not sure why it is on the left side in that spot but it's there. I don't want you guys to think I'm just bashing on the ZX10, it's a great bike and I would be happy to own one, but I would rather own the 1000rr after the comparison.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.